Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's OK to Say Hello!

As I promised myself, I woke up this morning and took a short run. Saturday mornings are great for runs on the trail that starts in front of our house and meanders down to the George Washington Bridge. 

After Mike's dramatic story about finding a half-eaten carcass on the trail yesterday, I was hesitant, yet intrigued. I headed out on the trail preparing to see a disgustingly rotted deer carcass. Thankfully, though, the bones had been cleaned (by other animals, I guess) and dried in yesterday afternoon's sun. Still creepy, though. 

On way back, I encountered a few other runners and walkers. I tend to be a good mood when I run, so I love to share cheer with all who pass. Most at least offer a smile, but today was different. I encountered a man and woman running together (well she was trying to catch up), who couldn't even crack their lips to my cheerful "good morning," WTF? Is it really that hard? Come on people -- exercising is supposed to be fun and make you feel good. Would it hurt to crack a smile or nod? I expect cyclist to now say hello (more on that later), but other runners and walkers are supposed to be different. It's Saturday, it's going to be 80 degrees, what could be so bad? (end of rant)

So next time you're running and someone says hello, remember to at least crack a smile. Enjoy today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment